Join our amazing 21-day Summer Program!
[Registration now open]
About the Program
The Marrakesh Organics Summer Environmental Program is our yearly 3-week course designed with the aim of providing participants with high quality content in a fertile environment. From thought-provoking lectures, hard working days to cultural immersion trips, students will be offered the opportunity to broaden their perspective, develop hands-on skills and new ways of seeing the world.
The core curriculum features sustainability science, ecosystem ecology, climate change, regenerative agriculture, Permaculture design, appropriate technology, among other themes taught by our core facilitators
Students will also get to experience beekeeping, artisanal soap making, nutrition & health lessons, Yoga & meditation, adobe building, all taught by a group of passionate and knowledgeable teachers. We hope to provide a space within which we design, live by and apply powerful solutions to tackle the challenges of our times.
What will I get from this course?
The 21-day program provides participants with:
- Develop a well-rounded education in the themes of sustainability, climate change, Permaculture, and timely topics related to the current sustainable development challenge.
- Train oneself to observe nature and think in systems.
- Gain hands-on skills in Beekeeping, food preservation, cooking classes, artisanal soap making, earthen oven building and much more.
- Yoga and meditation to start the day.
- Night Activities: Documentary film projections, discussions and games.
- Trips: 6 nights/7 days of traveling to beautiful destinations including night strolls in Marrakesh, 2 days in Essaouira, 1 day in Imlil, 2-day ascent of North Africa’s highest peak, Toubkal, and 2 days in the Ouzoud waterfalls.
- Work on personal farm projects for property owners.
In addition to:
- Healthy organic meals courtesy of our local cooking team.
- An intellectually stimulating environment of fascinating lectures, hard facts and deep group conversations.
- An opportunity to know oneself, get out of the comfort zone, and change the world (really!)
The intended outcomes are learning ways of becoming more responsible and sensitive individuals, acquiring the necessary knowledge to design intelligent and productive human settlements, including how to grow healthy foods, build with natural materials, harvest water and husband animals efficiently.
Travel & Cultural Immersion
In addition to the course content, the program also offers participants an international adventure in a friendly and culturally-rich country. The program includes coastal and mountain excursions, night strolls in the ancient souks of Marrakesh and other activities! Our goal is to facilitate an authentic, life-changing, cultural and inner development experience while at the same time keeping focused discussions throughout the program for a tangible outcome.
Wellbeing & Inspiration
We work hard to create a vibrant and relaxing environment that brings out the best in people. That’s why we grow the healthiest, nutrient-dense foods, and include morning Yoga and meditation in our daily practice. One of the most amazing outcomes of working and living together in community is the spontaneous sprout of genuine human emotions, trust, support and heart conversations.
You will be hosted in a gorgeous organic farm and Permaculture center in the foothills of the Atlas mountains, 25 km south of Marrakesh and right on the way to historical and scenic destinations such as the Setti Fatma Waterfall, Lake Lalla Takerkoust, the Oukaimeden Ski Resort, the ancient Tinmel Berber village and the Toubkal National Park.
We are just half an hour away from Marrakesh, a magical place, brimming with markets, gardens, palaces, and mosques. The bustling city famous for its souks and square, has recently been named the world’s top destination in TripAdvisor’s annual Travelers’ Choice Awards.
About the Facilitators
Omar Hajji | Founder and Farm Manager
Omar Hajji is a Regenerative design consultant and the Manager of Marrakesh Organics. He has an academic background in philosophy, sustainability and a special interest in ecovillages. At Marrakesh Organics, Omar aspires to weave together his inspirations and travels with a deep philosophy of life that seeks to heal the earth and the people; by growing nutrient-dense foods, organizing life-changing courses and bringing people together to dream of a future of abundance! He has traveled around the world learning about ecological restoration, design systems and intentional communities and was involved in numerous community empowerment programs notably in the US, Morocco, Senegal, Thailand, Kenya, Tunisia and Ethiopia.
Hazim Azghari | Lead Facilitator and Researcher
Hazim is a graduate of the Environmental Change Institute at the University of Oxford. Hazim researches topics ranging from local food security to empowerment through sustainable low-tech, through the framework of climate adaptation. Hazim has been part of Marrakesh Organics for some time, and his recent experience at the Stockholm Environment Institute has strengthened his will to turn the site into an institute that leads by example in the face of climate change. Being trained in renewable energies and earth construction, Hazim has volunteered in Thailand, South Korea, Japan and traveled to 8 other countries. He envisions a sustainable, low-carbon future for developing countries, leapfrogging through an impact-heavy industrialization. Hazim’s current focus is on the adaptation of traditional building and agricultural techniques to the modern context.
Ismail El Hamzaoui | Lead Facilitator and Researcher
Rachid Jaafari | Holistic Health Expert
Lehcen Benzakik | Organic Farming and Earth Building Facilitator
OTHER TEACHERS TO BE CONFIRMED
Course Fees [Sliding scale]
- Full Fee: 1680€ / $1840 (paying the full fee will help us provide scholarships to lower income students)
- Student Fee: 1450€ / $1600 (for international students and NGOs)
- Local Student Fee: 9900 MAD
- Shared housing in double & triple rooms (Private rooms extra)
- 3 main meals (Organic), Coffee & Tea breaks
- Field Trips (2 days in Essaouira, 3 days Imlil/Toubkal, 2 days Ouzoud waterfalls)
- Laundry service
- Airport pick-up
Does not include
- Health Insurance
- Personal travel
- Personal expenses
Application Deadline: June 15th, 2017
Limited space: 20 Participants
- Willingness to ask questions whenever necessary
- Conduct yourself in a cooperative manner and show respect to others
- Conservative attire is recommended
- Sobriety at all times during the course
- No music played out loud
- No drugs or alcohol are permitted on premises
What should I bring?
- Notebook and good pens for taking notes
- Work clothes, which will get dirty with mud
- Sun hat, sunglasses, sunscreen
- Sturdy working shoes
- Flashlight / headlamp
- Sandals and indoor footwear (no outside shoes inside)
- Own soap & shampoo
- Water bottle
- Favorite snacks
- Chocolate (We can never stress it enough!)
- Tent and comfortable camping gear (if you prefer camping)
- Books (if you want to donate to our library)
- Beginners Mind – Be open to learning from everyone present.
We recommend that all our international students have comprehensive travel insurance for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, baggage, money and liability before traveling.
Contact: email@example.com Mobile: (+212) (0)6 71 90 78 02